Thursday, October 06, 2005

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, by J.K. Rowling

It's taken me awhile to get back into reading, but for awhile I was bookless, then I wasn't committed to reading and then there's the whole thing about Harry Potter number 4 being as big as 1, 2 and 3 combined.
The book was interesting...I really got into it. Not obsessed like I know some people are about the series, but it was a page turner. I felt compelled to continue reading the novel, until just near the end when I thought it started to lose steam.
This is Harry's fourth year at Hogwarts school for the wizardry. Most of this book chronicles Harry's adventures in a wizarding championship in which he technically wasn't qualified to enter, but of course for the book to go anywhere (since Harry's the main character) he somehow got entered in the contest. The tasks and people that are involved in the contest are interesting to read about and it's pretty fun and definitely a light book. I wasn't really sure as to where the book was going because sure, the whole series is about going to school and his life and friendships he has there, but the main conflict is the one in which he is constantly fighting the evil Voldemort. Now, Voldemort never comes up in the competition, so you know something's going to happen, and for the bulk of the book, I was trying to figure out why this book was so different in that there was no big Voldemort conflict. Anyway, I wasn't sure how Voldemort would come into play in the book, so that was a little interesting when it did happen, because it was so close to the end of the book and I wasn't sure if maybe the author had decided to make book number 4 completely irrelevant from the overriding issue of the series.
Anyway, Voldemort came into the picture, and just like in movies, I rationalize as too how much of the storyline must be left (by looking at my watch, or seeing how many pages are left) and as this part of the novel developed, I started getting bored.
It was like the author was having fun with the competition and went in detail about how interesting that stuff was, and then she realised that the book was getting long and that she needed to add some "Voldemort bulk" to it, but didn't want to make the novel twice as long as it already was, so she crammed it into the end and plowed through it. At the end, I just felt like I was reading a synopsis of what was happening, as opposed to a drawn out, and more interesting detailed description of the events.

Anyway, that was just the last 10th of the book I guess. So I'd say the book was a success and I would recommend the book to others. It's an easy read (albeit a longer one) that you can get back into if you're reading it in snippets.

Oh, and I guess I accomplished something else with this book too. I wanted to read the book before the movie came out to see if the movie experience would be different knowing what happened in the novel beforehand.

I just need to get my hands on book five now...

-picture courtesy of www.chapters.indigo.ca
________

I guess blogger had a little glitch, because now I can post pictures again.

No comments: