Thursday, October 15, 2009

Vanity Fair Portraits at the ROM

The Vanity Fair Portraits exhibition at the Royal Ontario Museum is wonderful. Not that I'm saying that the more highly advertised Dead Sea Scrolls (Ten Commandments - ONLY 80 HOURS!!!) aren't impressive, but the exhibition has its flaws (crowds, timed entry, dim lights, too much text, echoing, cavernous rooms).
I really enjoyed seeing the photographs. I like portraits. The exhibition is solid. Well done. I'd recommend the complimenting Canadian Content exhibition as well. The only drag is that it's on a different floor in the hallway (ahem, I mean, gallery space) that I will always think of as the typewriter room.
I'll be going to the Art Gallery of Ontario to check out their Edward Steichen exhibition in the near future I'm sure. Well coordinated my museum friends, well done.

Speaking of great museum things, there's a lot of great exhibitions coming to the city. King Tut is going to be at the AGO and Body Worlds has returned to the Ontario Science Centre.

Insider scoop: The ROM is definitely going to get a bunch of Terracotta Warriors (and some horses too!) and will be getting the Water exhibition that just finished up at the Field Museum in Chicago (although some of us are bummed that we didn't get the pirates exhibit instead...aargh).

No comments: