Sunday, November 01, 2009

My heart still belongs to Improv Everywhere

When I first found the site, Improv Everywhere, I was quick to bookmark it. I have not read a post that did not make me smile. Most, if not all make me laugh out loud. I somehow clicked to a worldwide network of spawns of the original, and was interested to see what the Toronto version had to offer. After visiting the Improv in Toronto site and taking a look at the different missions that they had done, I was very hesitant to bookmark the site. Knowing however, that I probably would not have the chance to participate in the New York based, Improv Everywhere missions, I thought, what the heck, I'll give my hometown friends a chance to prove themselves worthy of my affection.
Sadly, I am still disappointed.
This past Friday night, a couple of friends and I took the plunge and decided to participate on their Stop dancing where no one is watching... mission. This mission would be perfect for me. I guess my expectations were too high and I'm too much of a dancing snob and perfectionist to give it enough of a chance. I did have fun learning the routine, and was pleasantly surprised at how fast non-dancers could pick up choreography, but my problem stemmed more in the fact that the people running the show grated on my nerves. It was before the mission even began that I was doubtful of my participation of the actual event. The speech and arrogance that our leader portrayed (and this was not the leader of the Improv group) made me sick.
Although we did not follow through and participate in the final event, it was kind of fun to be a part of the preparation. Going to an off-site location, learning about the mission, learning the dance (I still have the music and choreography in my head) and meeting a couple new people. The age demographic for the Toronto branch is much younger than the original counterpart, which did throw me off a bit. There was quite the mixture of individuals who answered the call for agents.
Once at the mission site, we waited around for the mission to start and it was quite clear that there wouldn't be as large of an audience (and media presence) as the organizers had expected. I wouldn't call it a flash-mob, per se. I'm pretty sure a 75% of the people in a area wearing flickering lights/glowstick necklaces means that something is up. It looked like everyone participating had a wonderful time and I don't necessarily regret not completing the mission. It's hard to say.
Another mission is coming up pretty soon - I'm undecided as to whether or not I will participate. There could be a small amount of agent interaction on this one, so it might be a bit better. I still dream of the day that I can be an agent with Improv Everywhere, or would be happy to participate in other dancing missions in the city. Just tell me about your demographic of agents beforehand.
Also, Improv in Toronto was setting themself up for failure. Did they seriously think that they could compete against this (wheeee for 3:35!) or this (like, hello)?!?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm really glad I found this blog post, my name is Cole and I'm actually the leader of Improv in Toronto. I'm not so short-sighted as to cast off the criticisms you have of us, and in fact see truth in many of them. So here's my attempt at explaining:

First of all, thanks for giving us a chance. Obviously living up to Improv Everywhere is a very high ladder to climb. We try our best to bring something to Toronto that people can enjoy, but it is a challenge doing that as a completely volunteer based organization with zero funding.

In regards to your complaint about the leader, I am almost completely on the same page as you. We have been dealing with some TV show producers, and it is kind of a love-hate relationship, so that is what you witnessed. They help fund our missions, and we let them make some decisions. But we notice as much as you do his snobby attitude, and are done dealing with them. The Real Clue Game is a pure Improv in Toronto creation.

The age demographic is just a fact of our organization. Nothing that can really be done for that one. We do get mostly University students, but that dosn`t mean we don`t get plenty of other ages.

Finally, I would have suggested you stuck around for the end of the mission. Upon starting the dance a crowd formed out of nowhere. You`ll see what I mean once we get the video up this weekend.

Hope this wasn`t too long. I just like to be straight up and clear.

Cheers,

Cole Banning

*L* said...

Hi Cole,

Whoa - thanks for finding me? My blog doesn't have a readership, so it's kind of crazy that you found this page.

I hope that my post didn't offend you or your colleagues in any kind of way (well, except maybe the TV guy), because I sincerely didn't mean it as such. I do appreciate all of the time and effort that you put into the missions and how you have zero funding to do these things (and are therefore sometimes stuck with weird TV guys) - I hope you did take away from my post that I did have fun in all stages of the mission.

I don't blame you or slight you for your demographic. In reading up on your previous missions I had a hunch as to what I would be walking into. It's just a weird feeling being in a room where you don't match the majority of the group, especially when you're going to a mission for a first time and not really sure how things will pan out. But, as I said in the post, there was a very diverse group of agents who showed up to the event, by which I was pleasantly surprised. And of course I couldn't seriously expect anything more of the dancing ability of the agents. It's not like I was showing up to a casting call requiring resumes and headshots.

I actually did stick around until the end of the mission. I was cheering from the sidelines and had hoped that the Sesame Street characters could have stayed longer and interacted with the agents more to provide for some good footage. We did stick around to watch the hip-hoppers doing their thing in the middle of the circle, but noticed that things started to disband when the truck drove off (which was late in the first place). Incidentally, this was part of the reason why we didn't end up following through with our intent to do the mission. We had wandered to the other side of the site so as not to clump with other agents and admittedly, to watch the breakdancer (we can't help but be drawn to dancers) and then started to loose interest after seeing a firetruck, C&A truck, and a big SUV truck - which coincidentally was playing Madonna and threw us off thinking that we'd somehow missed the entire dance - and didn't notice the real truck and hear Sandstorm start up until it was too late. I was a little bit disappointed that the large after-party with DJ, beverages, snacks and prizes didn't pan out. I'm leaning towards blaming the douchey TV guy for that. But yeah, we were part of that crowd that had formed.

Anyway, I admire your team for pulling this stuff together. It's easy for me to criticize as a completely passive bystander, well, now pseudo-agent. I do hope you aim big and continue to push to attain IE-greatness.

Obviously no one in their right mind would truly try to compare your event with the gloriously funded and resource laden dancing flash mob links that I posted. I just needed to throw them in to spread the dancing love.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - it was a fun experience, albeit with some surprising twists and insights along the way. Good luck with future missions. Perhaps I'll be Clueing it up with you.

*L*

Unknown said...

Hey *L*!

My name is Eddie, I was the guy in the black Fedora last mission, I work with Cole here at IT.

I'm really sorry that our event didn't live up to your expectations. To tell you the truth, this was outside of our comfort zone. And there was sort of a conflict of interest and how it should be ran. They see this as an opportunity to shoot, we see it as a chance to do something we never get to do and to have fun.

Nonetheless, we hope that you can find it in your heart to try once again at CLUE, it's more of what we do more often, blending with crowds and doing something that you don't see everyday in public. I can guarantee that it'll be longer than past missions. And probably more fun, we'll see.

=) Really hope to see you there!
Eddie