The Globe and Mail is doing a series about giftedness. Here are the articles thus far.
When I'm passionate about something, I find it hard to articulate my thoughts about it...which probably isn't good for my profession. Also, I need to pursue this area in more depth. I have to.
2 comments:
What did you think about the articles? I participated in a live-blog with many moms and dads that were afraid of a) labelling their children and b) making a major educational choice that would affect their childs' life, for the unforeseeable future.
Hey Jen,
Way to make me give an opinion on something that I carefully tried not to voice my opinion on! You'll notice that I tend not to give any negative opinions on my blog...and when I do, I tend to counteract it with a reason why it could be perceived as something positive. I think that I like to be on the neutral->positive end of the spectrum...at least in this 'public' setting. Unless I'm in some sort of mood where I feel like spewing.
But since you specifically asked, to be honest, I didn't read past the three articles that I had linked to - but that's probably because of my reaction to them. I didn't really like them. I thought they were flimsy. Growing up, I thought of The Globe as being this posh, academic newspaper and not being a Globe regular and for some reason keeping that naive impression in my head, these articles seemed pretty generic.
I don't think 'sensationalized' is the word that I'm going for, but I just felt like it gave too much of a stereotypical view on the issue, that it was too anecdotal...it felt like easy reading to me rather than a series that I could actually reflect deeply about. I didn't like that.
I do realize that I'm coming at the topic from a very specific point of view given my upbringing and chosen profession.
But yeah. I didn't take the reading very seriously.
I guess I'd posted it because I was intrigued by the fact that they'd done the series in the first place (I believe that a lot of things in the media aren't there out of coincidence or due to a genuine interest of the writer) and never really followed up to find out what was going on in the field or politics that might have prompted the series.
Well, and I seem to post random stuff on here anyway, often without an actual intention to it.
Hope you are well!
*L*
Post a Comment