So it's the Neuchatel Trophy this weekend here in town. It's a synchro skating competition that's sort of been downgraded because of the timing of it. Not a lot of teams (especially from North America) are willing to come to it, which is too bad, becuase I know the organizers would like it to get back to its glory days, and of course I'd like to have some good teams to watch.
Last night when I was at the rink at the speaker, I got the chance to watch some of the Novice teams from Finland. There were 26 girls on the team! That's 10 alternates! So my observation is this: synchro is alive and well in Finland.
I couldn't believe it.
I saw the Finettes (don't you love their name?) feeder team for the Team Fintastic and the Rockettes. Amazing skating skills for girls 12-16 years old. Figures, as they practice 6 days a week on ice and then more off ice. I'm jealous.
It's pretty reasonably priced to skate with the team as well. Just 200 Euros a month. If only North America were as reasonable. I guess it's a smidge cheaper because there are more people on the team to split costs...but still.
No comments:
Post a Comment