I just got home from a screening of The September Issue, the documentary about American Vogue's preparation for publication of their 2007 September issue. The documentary follows editor-in-chief and business woman, Anna Wintour as well as creative director and fashion visionary, Grace Coddington.
As documentaries generally tell the true tale of the subject, if The September Issue is an exemplary documentary, The Devil Wears Prada is as excellent feature film and very close to the truth. I don't know what kind of research Meryl Streep did in her role based on Anna Wintour, but she was spot on. Harsh, but with an edge of humanity.
The film also features the then almost unknown designer Thakoon Panichgul and the obvious influence that Ms. Wintour and Vogue has on a career. Thakoon definitely has talent and hopefully would have been worn by Michelle Obama without the backing of Vogue, but the support of the magazine probably helped his label come along. Editor-at-large, Andre Leon Talley also makes a couple appearances in the film. What a character.
The documentary is getting wide release in the city this coming weekend. If you enjoy documentaries, character studies and/or fashion I'd recommend this film. I really enjoyed the film. Getting a glimpse into the world of Vogue and what it takes to produce an issue. I was totally gaga over the fashion in the film. I desperately wish that I could live in that world (but not need to fight through it). I don't even get invited to Toronto Fashion Week (coincidence that it's happening now? Well timed, friends)...how could I possible dream to get invited to the couture shows in Paris.
I also have to say that I enjoy DocSoup and their free tickets for students!
1 comment:
I really want to see this. I heard about it being filmed more than a year ago and have been waiting for its release. Good to know that it's as fab as I hoped it would be!
Post a Comment