Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Blame

Blame is an Australian film about a piano teacher who, after a day at work, returns home to be attacked by five, well dressed (in black), masked intruders, to be tied up, drugged and left to be dead. But things go wrong and a "party" ensues with all six characters.
I watched this film at the end of a long day with three screenings, but stayed interested in the film throughout, perhaps due to the nap I'd had previously?
It was a pretty good film, but again, not the best piece of work that I'd ever seen. The ending was quite good (which I always appreciate) and the film started off well, but in between, there were moments that seemed a bit too drawn out. There were a couple moments that drew laughs from the audience, although I'm not sure if they were supposed to be funny moments. I was sitting beside someone who works in the industry, and she laughed a couple times during the film, although my take is that she was laughing because she didn't like the film. I admit that her reaction did affect my viewing experience. It made me doubt what I was watching, and succumbing to peer pressure, I think I appreciate the movie less than I would if I didn't think that someone else (especially someone in the business) didn't like the movie very much. I made a mental note to try to restrain my snarky comments about a film which watching it, as they may affect other viewers. I just can't help if I think something is ridiculous. Usually, in that case, I too start laughing, as I often can't believe what I'm watching. I try to cover up my laughing by covering my mouth, but I'm usually laughing so hard that's it's pretty obvious what's going on. I'm sorry to all of those audience members whom I've offended due to my outbursts. Especially that one time I took up the offer of going to watch Twilight. That was a bad one, and I know I annoyed people sitting next to me. Seriously though. That was a ridiculous movie. Alas, I digress.
So Blame seemed quite good, but didn't keep me on the edge of my seat as much as I would have liked. This movie just didn't take it to the next level.
This was the first feature film by director Michael Henry, who did stay for a Q&A (not super informative). I think he did a pretty good job. Not quite the thriller that I'd hoped it would be, but decent.

- picture courtesy of www.tiff.net

No comments: