I said that I have difficulty summarizing movies that I like. This would be an exception. Buried (official website here) is about a man who wakes up in a coffin with only a BlackBerry. I could tell you a little bit more, but I think with this film, the less you know, the better the film will be.The film stars Ryan Renolds and that's it. It is a one-man show. The film takes place in a coffin and that's it. It is a one-set show.
I'm impressed with the fact that they could have a 95 minute film with just one actor, one location and still make it interesting. Try and think about how you would go from scene to scene or change shots in that kind of situation. I thought it was neat how they did it. And the music they used really helped the situation as well.
The movie even makes you think about issues that are pretty intense. Not just, the "what would you do in that situation" kind of questions, but some other things that I don't want to give away. Seriously, the less you know, the better.
Director Rodrigo Cortes did not stay for this screening. He was at the first one though. I should try to remind myself to attend earlier screenings of the festival, because this has happened a couple times previously. Luckily, producers Adrián Guerra and Peter Safran were around and they did a Q&A with the audience. I'm pretty sure that most of the audience didn't think there would be one because no one mentioned anything about it during the intros, and by the time the lights came back on, there was only a small portion of the sold out crowd that was still there. Sucks to be those who left, because the Q&A was great.
Apparently, there were 7 sets used. I couldn't figured out how some of the shots were done, but I guess that's what adds to the appeal of the film. I was impressed at how quickly this film was made. I think they said that it was shot in 18 days, and Ryan flew out to Barcelona on his vacation to get the movie done as a pretty measly (for what he was capable to bringing in) salary. He clearly really believed in this film and with good reason. It sounded like Rodrigo Cortes was super into the film, willing to go all out, had a really strong vision for the film and everyone else jumped on board pretty quickly.
This movie is getting wide release, so I would definitely recommend people to see it then.
- picture courtesy of www.tiff.net
No comments:
Post a Comment