Friday, March 03, 2006

Puts that ______ team commitment to shame

Remember back in the summer and fall of 2003 when my love for skating took me to the next level and had me doing crazy things? You were all concerned for me (thank you) but understood why.

Well, the Torino 2006 Olympic Games got me doing something at lot crazier (time-wise) than that previous adventure, although it was a lot safer for me as I didn't have to sit behind the wheel.

This is how the typical day went:
8:00am-10:45am ~ Working
10:45am-5:15pm ~ Train from Neuch-->Bern-->Brig-->
Arona-->Santhia-->Torino Porta Nuova
7:00pm-11:00pm ~ Wishing I could be on the ice with them
4:50am-12:32pm ~ Train from Torino Porta Nuova-->
Milano Centrale-->Zurich-->Neuch
12:45pm-5:00pm ~ Working

The last time I had to do this particular journey, the ride back to Neuch was one of the most difficult things that I've ever done. I didn't feel good at all. You're mind can only take so much, but what kept me going was the love of the sport, the fantastic spectators from around the world that I met, careful planning and packing, the ability to fall asleep almost anywhere, having grown up in the Eastside and looking out for myself, spotting and chatting with famous people and of course sheer determination, as, of course, we all know...I'm invincible.

Soon, I'll post thoughts about the different events that I got to see and then you can piece together how the last three weeks have unfolded for me (the day after returning from Torino for the last time, I jetted off to London for 5 days - will post about that too).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why do all of you under 30yr olds reading this have to have jobs, school and other commitments that don't let you come and experience these things with me?

No comments: