Monday, March 06, 2006

Two hockey games (Saturday, February 18th, 2006)

I’ve never been to a hockey game, nor have I ever really been a fan of the sport, but when I was presented with the opportunity to watch two games, I decided to go with the flow and experience something new.





*******************
Game 1: Canada vs. Switzerland
- I was expecting a bigger venue again. I sense a trend.

- Met Joannie Rochette, Tugba Karademir and Jeff Buttle wandering around. My courage disappeared really quickly (and I couldn’t think fast enough) and the conversation didn’t last very long. Also, the game was starting soon, so we all need to go our separate ways. Oh, and Val Marcoux and Craig Buntin were there too.


- Hockey fans as so exciting! You really get pumped up by them!

- Hockey games have cheerleaders?




- Had great seats and were sitting near the VIPs. Apparently there were a bunch of stars wandering around, and I randomly took their pictures, but of course I have no idea who they are.

- Do hockey games normally have that many penalties?

- Darn, no fights.


- I thought these guys were supposed to be good. Why did they lose? I think the Swiss goalie was just really good and to my untrained eye, it looked like the Canadians were having difficulty passing to each other. It looked like they kept missing receiving the passes.

- “Ab Schweiz!” *clap*clap*clap (at least that’s what I think they said)

Final score of the game:










***********************
Game 2: Czech Republic vs. Finland
- Different game, different venue. We were right beside the Olympic Stadium and the flame.

- Those scalpers are some serious fast talkers. And apparently hockey (even if non-final events) is much more popular than skating. They can make profits (off of ticket price) for hockey, but skating was going for about 50% of ticket price.

- Was offered 500euro for 670euro worth of tickets, but couldn’t bring myself to take a loss. Those tickets were just too special to me, but I did spend the whole night wondering if I’d made the right decision.

- I feel like a pro-star at going through security. I’ve done it too many times.

- Now this is what I was expecting in terms of rink size. The style of the interior was very similar to the Palavela.


- The Games really did a great job with the graphics. Bold colours, and quite effective!

-Started to get a little bored. Hockey just isn’t my thing.

- Fight, fight, fight!!! (Left some blood on the ice)



- Still can’t believe the cheerleaders. And those are some pretty bad outfits.

- I was surprised that the Finnish hockey fans don’t use the same cheer as Finnish Synchro fans. “Suomi Finland…”

- Again, I gotta say that I love the fans! And I get a kick out of seeing the media booths.

- The more scoring there is, the more interesting it is for me.



- Congratulations to Finland. Final score 4 - 2.

No comments: