Monday, September 29, 2008

Valentino: The Last Emperor

Seems I like documentaries, huh? So, I went to see Valentino: The Last Emperor at the TIFF08. Apparently Valentino himself (along with Giancarlo Giammetti) were at the premiere and got an amazing reception. Standing ovation to the max.
The film itself was not only a celebration of the man's designs and moments leading up to his final runway show and final gala, but a character piece. A look into the life of Valentino and his relationship with Giammetti.
I thought it was tastefully done and really captured the essence of Valentino. From the pugs to the what I think of stereotypically "Italian" moments...it was humourous and heart-warming. I love the temperament and the interactions between the different people in his life.
I'm sad to think that haute-couturemay be dying out. That these young designers are losing the art-form. Come to think of it, I believe that it's the seamstresses that are the essence of couture and not necessarily the designs themselves.
His creations are beautiful. I'm pretty sure that I will never own my own Valentino, but I will be more than happy to admire them from afar.
Director Matt Tyrnauer was in attendance to introduce the film and carry out a post-film Q&A. Most of the questions centred around Valentino himself and what it was like to follow him. Based on the directors responses, I think the film captured Valentino perfectly. It's really him. Even the director's anecdote about the number of times that Valentino "quit" the film highlighted the designer's character. You gotta love it. And how insecure Valentino was about the film coming out but after getting such rave reviews, commenting about how much he loved going to festivals. There's a childish-ness about him that's quite endearing.
What a fun movie.
And I still want to go to a fashion show.

- picture courtesy of www.tiff08.ca

No comments: