Maybe I'm getting soft. The combination of the magnificent music, singing, dancing, story and personal connection to this film, well, tears were shed.Every Little Step is a documentary about the revival of A Chorus Line on Broadway. The film is perfect. The background story is touching and emotional, real people go for their dreams and there is a message behind it. The documentary parallels the musical itself.
The write-up on the TIFF08 website does not do the film justice in any way, shape or form.
There was only one person (who stood out to me during the film and the show) left from the documentary who got selected for a spot in the show that I saw back in March but there were a couple who didn't get selected in the film that ended up in the show. There may have been one more, I forget. A couple were replaced by understudies and others, I suppose had moved on for whatever reason.
I was surprised to see Tyce Diorio auditioning for the part of Mike. His technical skills are amazing, but that ego...Humpf. He has a completely different persona than I'd imagine him to have a la So You Think You Can Dance.
Baayork Lee (the original Connie) was a treat to watch. Apparently she was at the premiere, along with Donna McKechnie (original Cassie). Boo. Would have loved to see them. I'm not complaining. Directors James Stern and Adam Del Deo were on hand for a Q&A. No major insights into the film - this isn't a movie for deeper meaning. I am surprised that a wide release is in the works. Doesn't seem like a movie for the general North American movie-goer. I know it's being released in Japan for sure. I'd chatted with one of the people involved with that decision a couple times days prior to watching the film and she made me so excited to see the film.
I loved every moment of it. I suppose it was a documentary that didn't do anything surprising. I followed an audition process to a musical revival, but the way that the directors were able to thread in original footage from the original show, its development and significance of it all with the present day people, emotions and insights. Wow.
Oh yes, still enjoy the applause that occurs when volunteers are thanked in the pre-film montage and this screening was the first time I heard a hearty "aaaaaargh" during the piracy warning.
- picture courtesy of www.tiff08.ca
No comments:
Post a Comment