Saturday, June 23, 2007

The market

I still remember my first Saturday here in Neuch. It was only a couple days after I arrived, and I was told that it was the place to be on Saturday morning. I loved every moment of it. I was in awe. I couldn't believe that I was in Switzerland. I couldn't believe what lie ahead for me. I couldn't believe that it was happening to me. My dream had come true. All that, just from going to the local market.
This morning, I went to that market again. I haven't been for a long time, because I tend to sleep in too late, or be in a different city. I can't believe it's almost over. Yet, I still had those same feelings as the very first time. I'm so incredibly lucky. I'm so incredibly happy. The market was full with people. Hustle. Bustle. Happy faces. Smiling faces. My memory is unreliable, but I hope I'll always remember the feelings I get at these "everyday life" times. It's nothing special in the grand scheme of things, but it feels like the biggest thing in the world.

I bought a bunch of fruit. I got an overly ripe fig. I need some honey to go with it. I got some white cherries. Apricots. And those flat white peaches. For some reason I want to call them Saturn peaches. Anyway, these peaches were the tastiest and juiciest things that I can remember ever eating. I still have a couple more. I think I'll go eat one now. Oh, I also think that little kids would love them. It's a perfect shape for little fingers to grab onto and so juicy and sweet. That's what I think.

No comments: