Thursday, July 12, 2007

Avenue Q

A trip to London = nights out in the Theatre District!
After seeing this show win a bunch of Tony's when it first came out on Broadway (years ago) and being slightly intrigued by the fact that that it starred puppets, Avenue Q has always been in the back of my mind ever since. Well, then after seeing that it was playing in London, and hearing friends rave about it, I decided to go for it and see the show!
HILARIOUS!!!
I thought that I would be distracted by the "puppeteers", but as they were dressed in dark grey and their faces/expressions only added to the puppet's performances, they really weren't a distraction at all.
The plotline is simple, a puppet character moves to Avenue Q and the obligatory events happen. Love. Life. Stress. You know, all the typical things that are necessary for any good show.
The songs were so appropriate to daily life. I almost don't want to tell you much more, because it was the shock of what they were singing about (and some of the, errr, physical representations of it) that made it so funny.
Ha ha ha...I'm just laughing thinking about it. Oh, by the way, I don't think this should would be suitable for young children. Don't let the fact that there are puppets in the show fool you.
The man sitting in front of me (who seemed to take himself WAY too seriously) said something about the production being "over-produced". What the heck does that mean? And how would he know, he was too busy cuddling with his lady-friend. And it's not like the show was a cuddle-worthy show. His whole family seemed a little pretentious if you ask me.
Back to more interesting things, the performers were amazing at working with the puppets. Everything was so natural, and really lifelike. Very very muppet-esque.
I think I would love to be in a musical. Assuming that I could sing and dance and act of course. I realized that I want to try everything. They look like they're having so much fun onstage and I want to join them.
Anyway, the point of this is that if you ever have the chance to see Avenue Q, GO!

- picture courtesy of www.avenueqthemusical.co.uk

No comments: