Thursday, March 27, 2008

A Chorus Line

Might as well see a classic...so I went to see the revival of A Chorus Line.
I wanted to sing along to all the songs, but restrained myself.
The theatre was not completely sold out (as opposed to the other two shows which were PACKED!) but I still had high hopes.
Unfortunately, the show didn't completely meet my expectations.
The singing was great and the character portrayals were dead on, however I found that the ensemble was lacking in the dance department. I couldn't figure out if they were all actually well-trained dancers that were just pretending to have horrible dancing skills or if they weren't true triple-threats. Little things like flat footed turns, sickled feet or unpointed toes - there was no refinement. In the first "audition" number
I thought they were just playing their part in being wannabe stars, but I just got a weird vibe from it and don't think that was the case. Potentially the fact that there were a handful of understudies performing had something to do with the lackluster performance. Or maybe it was just a stylistic difference. A dancing style true to the original staging of the show. I was mainly disappointed with Kimberly Dawn Neumann's portrayal of Cassie. My favorite was Jessica Lee Goldyn's performance as Val. Natalie Cortez and Katherine Tokarz did commendable jobs as Diana and Kristine respectively. Understudy, Emily Fletcher stayed true to the statuesque character of Sheila. That sounds like a lot of praise - and I guess the production as a whole wasn't too bad. Lots of great moments, I was mainly disappointed in the dancing.
I would still recommend the show - another fun, feel good show. Great songs and lots to laugh at - just don't expect high calibre dancing. Boo hoo.

- picture courtesy of www.achorusline.com

No comments: