Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Killer Elite

Killer Elite (official website here) is a big, Hollywood blockbuster movie with big name celebrities and is getting wide release. All of this means that I shouldn't have selected to watch the film at TIFF and just waited to see it in theatres, but I'm a sucker for hitman movies. I love those silly movies that involve characters plotting someone else's demise. I like finding out the sneaky and creative ways that do the deed. In the same vein, I like heist movies.
So, Killer Elite was good fun. These movies aren't supposed to be cerebral or anything, but there are crazy action scenes and that's all that I'm really looking for. If you're the type of person that judges a movie when you see a character jump off of a bazillion-floor building or run from bullets without getting hurt, this isn't the movie for you.
Apparently it got some bad reviews and the director, Gary McKendry addressed them in the Q&A. He talked about how he just wanted to make an over-the-top film 'for the boys', because at the end of the day, boys love films with lots of things exploding and big fight scenes. Ahem - some girls like them too.
The Q&A had a different kind of tone than most of the others ones that I've attended. There was a lot more conversation about the process and questions about this being his first feature film.
So, the film was entertaining. That's probably how I would best describe it. There was one flaw, though. The film is set in the 70s and they drive cars that were around back then, most of the men are sporting classic moustaches and relevant attire...except for Jason Statham's character (well, and his leading lady and Robert De Niro's character as well). So that struck me as really odd, but it wasn't so bad because dressed in present-day garb, he's pretty good to look at. Ha.
The film is in theatres now or soonish (sorry, I don't actually keep track of these things) so if you like these kind of films, go watch it. It's pretty much everything you'd expect this kind of film to be.

- picture courtesy of www.tiff.net

No comments: