Another movie, another documentary. Undefeated (official website here) follows the Manassas Tigers' run to win their first ever playoff game. The storyline is pretty close to athletes preparing for a big competition, so obviously I would love the film. And I did.Not only are we following the team as they search for success on the field and learn more about the personal lives of some of the team members, but we're also finding out about the coach of this football team. Coach Bill Courtney is as much a star of the film if not the star. I am in complete awe that he volunteers his time to coach. There are some teachers who are paid to do their job who don't do half of what he does for those kids.
And as you would think for a film about a team from a rough area of town this film is less so about doing well in the game but more about how these young men develop their identities, pursue their dreams, and strengthen their character. I forget the phrase that the coach kept repeating to his team, but ultimately it was about how the way you handle defeat really defines you.
The Q&A with directors Dan Lindsay and T.J. Martin as well as special guest Coach Bill Courtney was great. They answered a wide range of questions relating to the film's content to the filmmaking process. All three of them had create personalities that showed their passion for the film and the subject matter.
I don't know if this film will get wide-release (probably not? Do documentaries get wide-release?) but I'm sure it'll get picked up at some level. Maybe a limited release in select cities or for DVD or TV. It has to. It's an amazing story.
- picture courtesy of www.tiff.net
No comments:
Post a Comment