Thursday, March 27, 2008

Spring Awakening

Another day, another musical!
I picked this one only because it won the 2007 Tony Award for Best Musical. I wanted to see what the big fuss was about and get a feel for what the Tony's reward.
Spring Awakening is a musical based on the play by Frank Wedekind. A play so controversial at the time that it was banned from being performed. Set in a provincial German town in the 1890s, the musical shows the lives of a group of adolescents who, as the time dictates, live a sheltered life. As one individual takes it upon himself to learn more about life and the world around them issues that youth face no matter the time and place. I don't want to tell you too much more about the struggles that they have or else I'd be giving it all away.
Even though it wasn't your typical feel-good musical, I really enjoyed it. It dealt with serious issues, but the musical numbers were fantastic. The cast was incredible. Whoever did the casting did a great job. It was so fun to see the characters really come alive - the musical numbers really helped in that regard. The staging, the lighting, the set - everything was so appropriate to the type of show that it was. You wouldn't think that tube fluorescent lights would be effective, but it really was amazing. I was sitting at the front of the balcony - really really good seats, but due to the intimate nature of the show, I would recommend that you get orchestra seats to this show - unless they're at the very back or something, than maybe balcony would be better. There are also seats onstage as well, which put you right in the middle of the action. Speaking of action (bad segway), if you're uncomfortable with nudity and PDA, then maybe this isn't the best show for you. Again, really serious issues, so don't expect to go home feeling good about life. Maybe you will, because the show was so well done, but it makes you think.
I think I read somewhere that they're putting on a production in Toronto, although I forget where I read that so I could be completely making this fact up. I don't know if it'll be as good as the Broadway version, so if you can, get out to NY to see the show. The Tony Awards did a good job.

- picture courtesy of www.springawakening.com

No comments: