I'm slowly going to write about my trip to NY city. Well, Manhattan really. With a smidge of Brooklyn too.
Anyway, this one's going to be short.
I'm not a
Sex and the City fanatic, but I do enjoy watching an episode here and there. It's fun, it's mindless and of course there's the fashion involved. I guess back in the day when I watched the show, my fashion eye wasn't as fine tuned and it didn't really make much of an impact on me.
So, while in New York, I happened to experience a couple Sex and the City moments, not counting all of the shopping experiences - I feel like that's a whole post in itself.
One night, we dined at
Sea Restaurant in Brooklyn. After nights of jumping from restaurant to restaurant to avoid waiting in lines (Manhattanites seem to eat out all the time and I think waiting in line is something that they just assume to happen. It doesn't seem to faze them even if it's really cold outside and the line is snaked around the block and they are completely inappropriately dressed for the elements), we should have just made reservations, but our unscheduled days of crazy activities made it easier for us to just show up whenever we got hungry or had time to eat. We thought by arriving at 7pm, we'd be on the early part of the dinner rush, so we wouldn't have to wait around as long - and we still didn't get seated for 2 hours.

The wait went by rather quickly. The waiting area was
packed and people were waiting outside as well. After a little walk around the neighbourhood, we headed back to the restaurant and were lucky enough to find seats (tired feet from a full day of walking!). The DJ kept everyone's toes tapping - I felt like I was in my stereotype of a trendy New York nightclub/eatery. Given the number of people waiting for tables, I guess that makes sense. Fashionable wait staff came around to take drink orders and it was kind of nice to have a long block of time just to chat. When our number was finally displayed on the convenient LCD screen, we were taken to a table on the edge of the pond in the middle of the restaurant. A large Buddha stared down as us. Very chic. The lighting was as it should be and there was quite a lot of seating in the restaurant. I think five "Happy Birthday" songs were sung while we were there and on our way out, there were still crowds waiting inside and out. The food itself was decent. It specializes in Thai cuisine, but it found my
pad thai to be quite generic. Not too much flavour, but not necessarily bland. Very similar to any one of the generic Asian fusion or whatever you call it places in Toronto. For such a trendy place, I was surprised at how reasonable the prices were. They were
cheap. Soups and appetizers for $4 to $6. Mains from $9 to 14. I was very impressed. If this restaurant existed in Toronto they would have jacked up the prices just because of the name and the
trendy factor. Oh the Sex and the City link - it was featured as the trendy vegan restaurant "Raw" in the final season.

401 Bleecker Street was the location of the next Sex and the City moment.
Magnolia Bakery also had a long line snaking out of the door which consisted of tourists and locals alike. The line moved very quickly and the bakery itself is a well oiled machine. Pretty pastel butter cream iced vanilla and chocolate cupcakes are put out just before the previous batch has

run out. Those waiting in line peer through the window to see which cupcakes have been snatched up praying that their favorite colour will still be left when they get to the front of the line. The cupcakes are so good. I think I got a cavity with my first bite. Yummy. I like when things taste as good as they look.
No comments:
Post a Comment