Friday, September 18, 2009

A Brand New Life

Sadly, competing for the worst movie that I've seen this festival, I had high hopes for A Brand New Life. The write-up looked great, but the film didn't live up to it and the teaser clip. I mean, it's a really great premise, but the problem was that after a great start, the movie kind of plodded along, skimmed over some very important themes that could have and should have been further explored and ended before any good bits took place. This film could have brought so much more to the table, but didn't.
As you've probably realized, I'm usually pretty enthusiastic about films. Even if I don't love them, I try to find something positive, or at least don't focus on the negative. This one had some great young actresses and as I said before, had the makings of a great film, but didn't follow through. At part of the film, where I felt like great insight, or deeper emotions would be looked at, the moment passed and sigh, a disappointment.
This screening was the North American premiere (it has screened at Cannes) and although it was a small theatre, the show was sold out and they admitted as many rushers as they could (the line was obviously long), so I guess there was good interest in the film. I wonder what everyone else thought of the film. Director, Ounie Lecomte was on hand to introduce the film and perhaps due to a language barrier, her intro eluded to her wanting to chat with us after the fact to further discuss her film. That she wanted the film to speak for itself first before she did. The movie ended, many people still stayed in their seat (so I think I wasn't the only one who'd gotten that vibe), and no one appeared. I know I left the theatre disappointed. I don't think I've ever had such an instant indifference to a movie before. It really makes me wonder if I missed something.

- picture courtesy of www.tiff09.ca

No comments: