Sunday, September 20, 2009

Melody for a Street Organ

After a little bit of whiff-waffling, I ended up buying a ticket to the final film that I would see in this year's TIFF, Melody for a Street Organ.
The write-up did sound pretty good, and I'd originally wanted to select this movie as part of my ticket package, but the screenings conflicted with other commitments do I'd penciled it into my book just in case. This morning, although exhausted and needing more sleep, I hauled myself out of bed, bailed on my other commitment and went to the screening.
I guess I'm happy I did?
It was a weird movie. A very long one, and a little bit odd. I'm pretty sure that something was lost in translation as there were others who were laughing hysterically in parts that I really couldn't comprehend why they would be so funny. There is also a strong possibility that it just went over my head, as I often think that's the case when I don't "get" a film.
From the write-up, I knew that there wouldn't be a happy ending, it just kind of sucked to see the vignettes weave together in a way where there were so many opportunities for happy endings, just to be pulled away and crappy stuff happening to characters instead. I don't know if it was a piece to say, "yeah, sometimes life just sucks", or if it's supposed to be some kind of twisted humour. I don't know. There wasn't a Q&A or anything (mental note - for future festivals, pick all the ones that I really want to have Q&As for at the beginning of the festival, because most screening towards the end get the shaft).
Now, I don't know if this movie is typical of Russian movies, as I've never seen a Russian film before, but like I said, it was weird. There were many moments, where I understood how they fit into the storyline, but I just didn't understand why it was happening. Why was it important to tell those particular vignettes?
I was also surprised at the number of people who left in the middle of the screening. I don't think I've ever attended another film with this many people bailing part of the way through. Hmm, that can't be good.
Would I recommend this movie, sure. Not with the highest praise, but it was kinda interesting to watch.

- picture courtesy of www.tiff09.ca

No comments: