Saturday, September 12, 2009

Cracks

Behold, my first movie of the Toronto International Film Festival 2009, Cracks.
This movie takes place in 1934 at an all-girls boarding school in the UK. It is a very tightly run ship, where the girls are kept separate from the outside world but go through the motions of learning how to be a proper lady. The girls in the school are divided up into small teams (sort of like houses, a la Harry Potter) and the film focuses on the story of the house led by lead girl, Di Radfield (played by Juno Temple - amazing) and under the tutelage of the fabulous Miss G (played by Eva Green - smoldering, she was a Bond girl, afterall). We watch the development of the girls, their devotion and awe of Miss G and learn about life in their school setting. Add to the mix, a Spanish aristocrat, Fiamma (played by María Valverde - elegant) which uncovers a new understanding to each of the members of the team.
This was the first feature film by Jordan Scott (daughter of Ridley Scott) and I really enjoyed it. Of course there was an immediate interest in the film due to the subject matter, but I found the cinematography, location, script, and ensemble cast to be a wonderful combination which made really love the film.
Jordan Scott was on hand for the a Q&A which was unfortunately, uninspiring due to the types of questions that were asked - there were a lot of useless statements that were made as well. I suppose I cannot complain too much as I didn't attempt to ask a question. Ms. Green, Temple (looking great in a 1920s inspired dress) and Valverde (looking absolutely overwhelmed) were also in attendance and made a brief appearance on stage during the introduction of the film, but refused to come up during the Q&A.
It was an intense film, but I obviously really enjoyed it.
Oh, I must mention the venue. the screening took place at the Winter Garden Theatre, which I had never been to before. It is a wonderfully old theatre and has great character, and quite comfortable seats. A balcony, along with grand boxes to the side and I'm really hoping that I can watch a stage performance in the theatre in the future, say, Billy Elliot with the Tony Award winning cast in tow? One can always dream.
One movie down, and off to a great start!

- picture courtesy of www.tiff09.ca

No comments: