Friday, August 31, 2007

Joe Fresh

Well, I did it. I found Joe Fresh...and, go figure. I made a purchase. A bag (and a sweater). Sigh, I think I have a problem.
Anyway, the prices had a significant range, but for the most part, were, as is the big wowee, very affordable. The quality, I think I'd have to examine a little further. The materials varied, so you had to look carefully. I wasn't too sure why certain things were priced how they were, but I'm still not too good at deciphering all the fine print on the labels. For example, there were well cut jeans @ $19 and then some synthetic sweaters @ $29.
I wasn't completely blown away with the items. There were a couple things that I liked, but it wasn't as impressive as I'd hoped. Afterall, the man behind the design is Joe Mimran, of the original Club Monaco and with his wife, Kimberley Newport-Mimran of Pink Tartan two labels that I love for their clean and classic clothing. Joe Fresh has that, but a little too casual for the most part.
So yes, the price point is very affordable for the name behind the brand. And yes, the style is pretty good for a clothing line that's being sold in an oversized grocery store, but you have to look for the good pieces.
It's a shame that the line isn't available at more locations as I could see how a lot of Canadians would enjoy the price point of this stuff (the syle, I don't really know - I'm confused as to what Canadians like...lululemon, Hollister, Abercrombie & Fitch?!? Kill me now.). Now that I've been once, I don't think that it's worth it to make a special trip to the store, but if I'm in the area I might stop by. I'll definitely keep tabs on the website to see what the current line has (apparently new stock comes in weekly).
The TV spots are cute too. Simple and clean (in keeping with the concept), the dancers show off the best pieces of the collection. It's too bad that I keep thinking that I'm watching something from Old Navy or the Gap, until the logo pops up at the end. I'm not sure that's a good thing...
All in all, a thumbs up for Joe Fresh. Not overly-enthusiastic, but thumbs up nonetheless.

No comments: