When I moved downtown, friends advised me to get the crazy-fast high-speed internet that the building that I was living in was privy to. I didn't listen to them. I ended up getting the cheaper route. I didn't care about the super high-speed internet. I was happy with the service that I got and I liked the extra pocket change. My friends thought I was crazy. to have given up such an opportunity.
Now that I'm in a different building, but still privy to the same crazy-fast internet, I still did the same price shopping before selecting whom I would give my business too, and ended up with said 'crazy-fast high-speed internet provider. I enjoy the service, but it doesn't seem mind-blowingly different from what I used to have.
I've just received a memo that my provider is jacking up the prices. To provide some context, typical price for high-speed internet in the area is ~$50/month. I'm getting it for a wee bit less. Also, there are only really two potential providers that I can use in my building.
So, as a loyal customer they will be upping my rate to $60/month. This is still for the crazy-fast high-speed internet. This change is because they have started a new series of plans. They didn't want to completely screw over existing customers, hence the (relatively?) minimal price increase. But, I could switch over to their new plan and get basic high-speed internet for a measly $38/month or even the medium high-speed internet for $50/month. New customers wanting the same crazy-fast high-speed internet that I current have will have to pay...wait for it...$100/month!
So, to switch, or not to switch. I wonder if I would even notice the difference? I don't download a lot of things on a regular basis, but I do enjoy streaming TV shows so that I can keep up-to-date on useless reality television (read: Survivor, Top Chef US/Masters/Canada, SYTYCD, Big Brother US and UK, Strictly Come Dancing, Project Runway, etc.) and other more substantial shows (read: Community, 30 Rock, Grey's Anatomy, etc.).
I tend to go on movie watching phases. If I feel like I need a dose of film, I'll watch a bunch in a row, but then I get tired of looking for online sources and forget about it for another month or two. I even have phases for TV shows. After a recent conversation with friends, I'm currently on a Top Gear trend. I know nothing about the cars, and I usually tune out when they talk about stuff under the 'bonnet', but it is a rather entertaining show. And nostalgic. I used to watch it in Europe all the time. At this rate, I'll end up watching EastEnders or something. There's a bunch of real-estate, SAS and bargain hunting/selling shows that I would try to catch as well. I digress.
Point is, times are changing, prices are on the rise and I need to decide if I'm going to make any moves in the my internet situation.
No comments:
Post a Comment