I've been eying a well-established auction house that's in my area, thinking that at some point, I'd like to attend an auction. I think it would take quite a long time for me to feel comfortable about the process and be knowledgeable about the products for me to place a bid, but I've very intrigued with the whole idea.
Like most people, I have some idea of what an auction is like. Of course there are auctions for flowers/produce/livestock and then there are auctions for art/jewellery. My stint in Europe helped spark my interest and slight understanding of the world as the Brits seems to be quite into auctions and I would happily watch Bargain Hunt anytime that I could catch it.
For me, it's not the idea of potentially buying an object that interests me so much as understanding and appreciating the art of the auction. How viewings are set up, the knowledge and skill that's required of the auctioneer, the strategy and emotion of the bidder...it must be the people-watcher in me coming out. I should be an ethnographer.
Anyway, I attended a viewing today and wasn't really sure what the climate of the auction-house would be like. You never know with these kinds of things. I was pleasantly surprised to see how laid-back it seemed to be. I mean, there was a definite dignified feel to it, but I was expecting a little bit more, I don't know, pomp and circumstance to it all. Maybe it's just like that at Christie's.
I chatted with someone on their team who kindly walked me through the process without making me feel inferior. She enthusiastically invited me back for the auction and I most definitely will take her up on her offer. I suppose it's all good customer service as one would hope to receive in any service industry, but that doesn't always seems to be the case. Although it was clear to her that I will definitely not be placing a bid at tomorrow night's auction, I think she saw that I was truly interested in the world and that who knows, I could be a purchaser in the future. Or a consigner. Or even just spread positive words about their auction house.
Never underestimate the power of good service.
No comments:
Post a Comment