Sunday, April 10, 2005

Oracle Night

Oracle Night, by Paul Auster

Read by recommendation, this was my first book after the For Whom the Bell Tolls roadblock. I think I like stories that have an “interesting” plot, whatever that means. Oracle Night’s a pretty short book, which made it a little less daunting.
It took me awhile to get started with the book, whether it be because I had company over for awhile, so my normal times that I could sneak a couple pages in here and there were taken up by entertaining or the sheer fact that I was out of my “reading regime”. Anyway, at some point I finally got around to reading the book. It was a slow process.
Yet again, as with most of the books that I’ve been reading I started to get a little bored by the end. I was having problems with the fact that I couldn’t sit down for a long period of time and read a substantial part of the book. It was the old problem of getting frustrated because I didn’t remember what had happened in the story previously.
At the beginning of the novel, I was a little thrown off by the “footnotes” that were in the story. I had to keep flipping back and forward to make sure that I’d read all of the footnotes and main story lines. After awhile though, I thought the footnotes were kind of neat, creating a different twist to a normal story.
The middle of the story seemed to be pretty interesting, but like I mentioned before, the end started to drag on. I was expecting something great to happen, but in the end it just fizzled.
Yet again, a book that was just OK. A little bit intriguing with the footnote additions, but in the end, nothing too spectacular. I still don’t know how to describe the type of books that I like.
At least I’m reading again.

No comments: