Friday, April 28, 2006

I *heart* my students

There are so many cheesey reasons why I got into my profession, and I don't really want to get into those reasons now, but a recent "Calc Party" proved to be reason for me to get warm fuzzies.

Sure, the bottom line is that they just wanted to have a party, and knew I wasn't going to give up my lesson time for it. They were great...they prepped by creating crowns for each member of the classroom (labelled with mathy puns for each of the names) and went through the paper recycling box and found photocopies of old AP calc exams to make them with. That sat patiently (well, sort of), crowns on their heads while I taught my lesson, and when I was done teaching, the party began...

My students can ALWAYS make me smile. I assume that none of them will ever read this (I hope not at least), but I hope each of them know how special they are. I come in to work everyday for them.















Another great line on the other board:
CALC < NOTHING

3 comments:

Ramanan Sivaranjan said...

I still can't picture you teaching Calculus.

*L* said...

I know...it's so weird.
I can only hope for a Mr. Mo (I still can't draw perfect circles) or Mr. Wright (I do wave metre sticks around in Geo class though) status in the future.
It feels so natural, yet I can't help but think that one day the students are all going to confess that they've just been playing along and pretending to believe everything I say, but honestly, they know that I'm just little old me.

Ramanan Sivaranjan said...

I think the trick to being the next Mr. Mo is to stop teaching Calculus midway through the class to start discussing politics and how you should never vote conservative.

He was such a good teacher.