Monday, April 23, 2007

Lisbon, Portugal (February 28th-March 4th, 2007)

When I went to Boston a couple summers ago, I was blown away by the aquarium and huge tank in the middle that showed the different layers of aquatic dwellers. Imagine my excitement when I came to Lisbon and found out that there was something similar here!

There was room for you to sit and just watch the creatures go by. I have to admit that I sat there for a really really long time in complete awe of it all. I was reminded of how much I love animals and dreamed once again that I would get to work with them in the future. The wheels are turning, don't you worry.












I chatted with the keeper for a little while about the otters and what they were up to, their habits and other nerdy things.
Keepers really do love their charges and take great pride in getting to know them and take care of them. Just standing there watching him in action and observing the couple happily waiting for their food made me so incredibly jealous that I couldn't jump the barrier and hang out with them as well.




Such pretty colours.







Masters of camouflage, that's for sure. How many can you find?





Jellyfish are mesmerizing.








Malls aren't a common occurrence in Europe, but I guess they're popping up more and more with the American influence. The best part about the malls in Lisbon (I was sort of in shopping withdrawl, so this was perfect) was that they were open until midnight...yes, I said midnight. Remember, I have to contend with Neuch, which closes its stores (the few that there are) at 6:30pm and obviously don't even dream of opening on a Sunday. So, I could use up my daytime with touristy things, and then after a dinner break, walk off the poundage at the mall and shop, shop, shop! In a 24 hour day, not a moment goes to waste! And I just like to walk. I don't care where, but walking is good. A nice, brisk walk to keep me in motion. Walking around a mall just before midnight is much more comfortable than the dark streets (remember my crappy night vision) of an unfamiliar city.

I did some good shopping while in Lisbon. Stuff was much cheaper than a lot of places in Europe and there were quite a lot of stores that I liked.
During my shopping, I stumbled upon the following tees:
I was SOOOOOOO tempted, but then I considered the fact that I probably wouldn't wear them much and actually had a moment where I analysed my wardrobe (issues about wearing black surfaced of course), and decided that these tees would not suit the type of dresser I want to be. I was very close to getting them though. Really.




Massimo Dutti on the other hand...love it.







These old-school streetcars were great!









Seriously?!?









Word to the wise...forget the monuments in Belem, go for the custard tarts! They're delicious.






The monuments do look pretty cool though. Obviously the area is all proud of the conquests and stuff.






Stumbled upon the Coach Museum, and didn't really know if it would be worth it to go inside. Boy, it sure was! How crazy cool are these? Cinderella anyone?


Took a train to the nearby town of Sintra. It was described as a fairytale town and for awhile I couldn't figure out why. It seemed like any other European town.





Beautiful artisanal ceramic stuff for sale.







It was great fun to play on the Moorish ruins. I can't imagine what it looked like a long time ago, but going up and down the stair, climbing in the towers and looking at the town down below was a great time!








The view from the ruins.








This is the fairytale part. This is a friggin palace that someone used to live in. Tee hee!




Back in Lisbon and getting more views of the city. Everytime I ask locals what I should see and do when I'm traveling, they ask what my interests are. It's hard to say, but I think I'm starting to narrow it down. I like to walk. I like to shop. I like to get to lookout points. I like to
sample yum-yums. I like scenery and different types of buildings. Sometimes museums, but they've got to be pretty darn good.
I love walking and being amongst the people. I had a lot of *sigh* moments on this trip. I was so content and happy to be there.

No comments: