Sunday, October 14, 2007

Mystery of the game show solved

While flipping TV channels in Europe, I would invariably come across a game show. I've seen similar incarnations in Italian, French and German among other languages in my travels.
I could never quite understand what was going on. The contestant is picking from numbered boxes (the French version had different French city names instead of numbers), hoping not to get 1 million euros (or whatever currency it was). I figured out that the goal was to get really crappy amounts of money, as those amounts would be crossed off a big list of possible prizes. The confusion on my part was what amount the contestant would win if they stopped before all of the boxes were open and also why there were two columns for the prize amounts. There was always a old school telephone in a table which would ring and the host would be told some message to be passed on to the contestant. Usually the contestant ended up in tears. The boxes were opened by average looking people who didn't seem to have any prize incentive for being there.
I finally figured out that it's just Deal or No Deal.

No comments: