In a UK dancing-themed day, after seeing Jig, I watched Boy Cheerleaders.The documentary follows an all-boy cheerleading team as they prepare for their National Championship competition. Again, not a novel concept for a film, however unlike Jig, I felt as though this one fell short. Again, we got to know a couple of the boys on the team, their stories, their sacrifices, their families, their hopes and dreams, but with this one, I will say that I thought that it was an on-the-surface film.
With both films, it was clear that the intention was to create a film about people. Sure, we get to know about each sport, but it's the people and their stories that the filmmakers are really interested in (Sue Bourne said it herself in the Q&A for Jig). So, for Boy Cheerleaders, one particular part of the boys' stories that could have been further examined was the fact that each of the boys that were followed (not everyone on the team was followed) had no father figure in their lives. Each of them were raised by a single mother and each of those mothers comment on their own struggles growing up. Although it was eluded to, I would have thought it would be interesting to delve a little bit more into how this team helps the boys find their footing, and if/how the male coach of the team provided a positive male influence to them.
That being said, it wasn't a horrible film. It was cute. It did everything that a film should do, but of course I'm so demanding and critical that I wanted more (especially after just having seen Jig).
I wished the director, James Newton, was in attendance for a Q&A, but that didn't happen. This film would also be a great one to have a follow-up about. There was a mini pay-off at the end of the film, but a real follow-up would have been better. And since I felt as though so many of the characters in the film had so many challenges in their lives (sorry, it's the educator in me coming out), I really yearned for that follow-up. I suppose the director did a good enough job that I felt connected to the characters, or maybe you can say that he didn't do a good enough job that I was left unresolved. You could argue either way.
So, a nice film. Something that I would watch if it was playing on TV (it did in the UK), but probably not buy a ticket to watch on the big screen for wide-release. I did enjoy the section about "facials". Oh, the world of cheerleading...
- picture courtesy of www.hotdocs.ca
No comments:
Post a Comment