The Interrupters (official website here) is a film about three "violence interrupters" working with the CeaseFire organization in Chicago. Each of the interrupters have street credibility as a result of their life experiences.Given the subject matter, I was pretty amazed at how much of an inside look we got into the world. There were a couple choice shots where faces weren't in the screen, or other images were fuzzed out...but we did see violence, we saw tense moments and we saw confrontations.
In the Q&A with director, Steve James, we also found out that there were many more scenes that couldn't be included in the film. That the crew were asked to step back from certain moments during shooting based on the situation. I do wonder if their presence did help in certain situations. Steve seemed to say no, because the characters are so emotionally involved with whatever they're doing that they basically forget about the crew.
I was absolutely mesmerized by the interrupters ability to communicate with members of their community. The way that they were able to use verbal and physical language was incredible. I was amazed by their courage and strength.
This documentary clearly focused on a couple positive/success stories that the interrupters were involved with. Sure, each story did have challenges and those involved still have their issues that they need to battle, but holistically, I believe them to be success stories. I was wondering if telling these specific stories provides a well-rounded and complete picture of the work that they do, but with a subject matter such as this, it seems obvious that the work they do is challenging so for something like this, what's the point on dwelling on the negative stuff? Might as well focus on the great stuff they do and look at the optimistic components of their work.
So, did I like this film? Yes. Most likely because of the content and the characters/stories that they decided to follow. Each are compelling (the interrupters and the folks that they work with) and great to watch. There are so many issues that are raised and of course it really tugged on my educator/mentoring heartstrings.
Mental note: I need to watch Hoop Dreams.
- picture courtesy of www.interrupters.kartemquin.com
No comments:
Post a Comment