Monday, May 02, 2011

Jig

After an unsuccessful Rush attempt to see El Bulli - Cooking in Progress (note: After failing at two Rush attempts for food docs - last year, I didn't get into Kings of Pastry - I need to remember that Torontonians are more fanatical about food than I thought), I was back on track with Jig.
Jig (official website here) is a film about the world of Irish dancing and follows various competitors as they prepare for the World Irish Dancing Championships. It's not a novel idea for a documentary (following competitors and learning about their sport/families/etc.), but apparently Irish Dancing is notorious for not allowing cameras and stuff like that into their world.
I LOVED this doc. I know nothing about Irish dancing (well, I know a couple steps and some of the superficial stuff about the outfits and such), so I didn't have that extra investment in the movie. Of course, I can relate as someone who has a passion and someone who's prepared for important competitions, but I would think that most people who have something sort of similar (even if not on the same scale). I thought the director, Sue Bourne, did a great job at picking a variety of dancers and really getting to understand their personalities, their stories, the whole bit. A common sentiment that I have about documentaries is that they're too on-the-surface, but although I can't figure out what this film did more than the others, I really thought that this one gave me as much of the story as I wanted. I wasn't left wanting more. I thought the timing, the weaving, the depth, the pay-off, it was all really really great.
I also loved the music. I don't know if most people notice music during movies, but I do, and I seem to comment on it quite often. I remember thinking that, of course the Irish music was very suitable and enjoyable in general, but that it was well timed and the type of music selected for each section was perfect. And as the credits rolled, one name stuck out. Patrick Doyle. A-ha. Kudos.
In the Q&A, Sue Bourne mentioned how fortunate she was to snag Patrick. She couldn't afford him, but had asked him to recommend someone. He watched the film, loved it, and then signed himself on instead. She was also able to give updates on all of the characters of the film (the doc leads up to the 2010 Worlds and the 2011 had just taken place a month ago) and they were good stories. I won't tell you, because you have to watch the film first.
Anyway, needless to say, I would highly recommend this film.

- picture courtesy of www.jig-the-film.com

No comments: