Friday, May 06, 2011

Love Arranged

Love Arranged is a film by Soniya Kirpalani about two girls looking for love in India. Each is in their late twenties, is well educated with good jobs. They are self-assured but single. Each had tried going the love marriage route, but have not come up with anything. At their age, they are getting antsy and this film follows them as they attempt to go the arranged marriage route.
I thought this film was quite good. I liked learning about a different culture, their approach to and outlook on things, traditions and for it to reinforce just how difficult it is to navigate through this thing called love.
The Q&A with Soniya was interesting as well. She gave us her perspective on things, tried to explain a non-Western perspective and even brought onstage a potential suitor for her own daughter. The story was quite interesting. Her daughter wanted her to bring a boy back from Toronto and daughter even had contact information for a potential match. Soniya met the boy and his family upon arrival, they seemed to hit it off, and the boy (maybe I should say young man/gentleman) and his parents attended the screening and were brought on stage to be introduced to the audience. Interesting.
I left the screening full of thoughts. Thoughts that I don't want to share on this blog, but thoughts that represented a mixture of emotions. Some comforting, some worrisome.
I liked the film, but it's not my favorite that I've seen.

- picture courtesy of www.hotdocs.ca

No comments: