Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Family Portrait in Black and White

Family Portrait in Black and White (official website here) was my favorite movie of Hot Docs.
While all movies that I watched were good and fulfilled my interpretation of what a documentary should do (investigate/shed light on a specific subject matter), some were what I've been calling surface-level films where they just kind of show what's going on but don't somehow have an extra oomph to them. Now, I could just be seeing them as 'good, but generic' because of the amount of knowledge I already have about the subject matter, but I think it has more to do with the emotional involvement, cinematic prowess or the film's ability to have me keep thinking about what's going on in the movie. Like most people, I like watching shows/films/productions that have a clearly organized resolution at the end so that you walk out feeling a sense of closure, but this film didn't give this and that's precisely why I enjoyed it so much.
I think the Hot Docs' synopsis is a good one:
It can be dangerous to be black in post-Soviet era Ukraine, a country peopled by 99.9% blue-eyed blonds. Olga Nenya faces down age-old xenophobia as she fosters 23 abandoned children along with her own, including 16 bi-racial orphans, in a ramshackle house in a small Ukrainian town. At first their lives seem like an idyllic United Colors of Benetton ad: love and affection from Olga, swimming trips to the lake, playing with chickens, goats and cats, going to school and doing chores in the garden and house. But as the film progresses over three years, a more layered and psychologically disturbing portrait emerges. Olga plays favourites and picks on kids who contradict her, and strict Soviet-era ideas about child rearing stymie their opportunities and abilities. Fresh from its Sundance premiere, Julia Ivanova brings festival audiences a rich observational portrait of a woman who wants to save the children from an unjust world—her way.
As they say, everything seems very sunshine and rainbows as Ms. Nenya takes in these orphans that need a loving home, but as the film continues you really see that there's more to it. Some good, some questionable, it's hard to determine where you stand with her decisions and the situation as a whole when the foundation of it all is love and good intentions.
We watch the family members interact, we see how they are perceived in their community, we are given a context for the world the live in, we hear from the mother and many of the children. We hear about hopes and dreams for the future.
Julia Ivanova (director) and Boris Ivanov (producer) were in attendance for this Canadian premiere. I'm so glad that there was a Q&A for the film and wish that it could have gone on longer. It allowed me to realize that I wasn't the only one who had confused thoughts...from audience members to even the filmmakers themselves. Julia shared that she was inspired to make this film after reading about the family in a newspaper article (a lot of the films that I watched were inspired by a newspaper article) and they were shooting, she slowly uncovered that the story was more complex than she had thought it would be. As a result, she felt like she was creating a film to try to better understand the family and a way for her to sort through the mixed emotions that she had towards Ms. Nenya. I can't figure out what made it so powerful, but yeah, it was good. I think it was the way that the film flowed. Setting the context, showing the good, getting you hooked, and then blam-o! Something to throw you off. Even her conscious decision of the final message of the film by her choice for the final storyline was well done.
When asked if the family had seen the film, I was a little taken aback by the response. Julia said no, but she does plan to show the film to them in the near future. Only, it will be a different version. She intends to have a different cut where certain interviews and implications are left out. Ones that may show Ms. Nenya in a negative light. She doesn't want there to be any negative ramifications towards the children as a result of watching the film. She was a little concerned that the version that the public sees will get to the family. Well, specifically, Ms. Nenya.
I usually only reflect on the content of films and sometimes will take notice of the production itself, but this information reminded me of issues surrounding the medium and art-form itself. Is the purpose of documentaries to shed light on a topic? To give a complete picture rather than tell a story through a specific lens? How much influence does/should the filmmaker have on the subject itself? Does the fact that the film was made change the natural path of the subject? What are the ethical/moral implications of filmmakers as they make their film? Serious stuff.
Anyway, if it wasn't obviously, I would highly recommend this film.

- picture courtesy of www.familyportraitthefilm.com

No comments: