Friday, May 06, 2011

Conan O'Brien Can't Stop

Conan O'Brien Can't Stop (official website here - when I wrote this post, the link redirected you to facebook page) is a film about Conan O'Brien post-NBC and pre-TBS. Basically, it shows him deciding to do a touring show, preparing for the touring show, and doing the touring show.
You could say that this is just a film version of the touring show and I would compare it in structure to Force of Nature: The David Suzuki Movie, with a little less backstory about the main character. I didn't like the David Suzuki doc (although the rest of the audience did as it won a People's Choice Award), but I managed to enjoy the Conan doc. I suppose when the content and subject in the film is funny, it helps make the film more interesting to watch.
That being said, it's not like the film is amazing. I enjoyed it, but again, it was a very surface-level film. The name of the film eludes to the fact that Conan can't stop performing or working, or whatever, even if he's legally restricted in what he's able to do, and there is a little mention of this in the film, but again, when it comes down to it, the film is more about finding ways to tie together snippets of his touring show.
Sure, through interviews and eavesdropping on him during non-show times, I was able to better understand the man, but it was a balance between the show and the person rather than being a character investigation. Maybe that was the point.
An enjoyable film, but I'll bet that it won't stand out from the rest.

- picture courtesy of www.hotdocs.ca

No comments: