El Sicario, Room 164 is a film about a former hitman. Based on an article from Harper's written by Charles Bowden (if you have a subscription, chick here...if not, click here) the film was basically an interview with the man. I really liked the added touch of the notebook and marker that he used to illustrate and emphasize points. Most of the film took place in a motel room where the sicario did some of his work. To break up interview and transition between stories, there were moments of black and silence or simple shots of Mexican life.We learned about the cartel, how they work, who they recruit, Mexico and the corruption, sicarios and their trade. It was both intriguing and horrifying at the same time.
This one would have been really cool to have a Q&A. To find out logistics of making the film. To find out what became of the notebook. Ah well. I always wonder if there's a way to find out which screenings are scheduled to have a representative from the film present. I guess premieres have a higher chance of having someone in attendance.
I thought this film was great because of the content. As I said, it was fascinating learning about something that you're really not supposed to know about. From first-hand experience. And again, the notebook thing was really cool too. He used it very effectively. I was thrown off by the sicario's final saving grace. I didn't read the Harper's article before watching the movie, so I wasn't expecting it.
- picture courtesy of www.hotdocs.ca
No comments:
Post a Comment