Hand to Toe: An Exploration in the Art of Giving was a short film screened with Family Portrait in Black and White. From the Hot Docs website:Once a week, Yellowknife’s Salvation Army transforms itself into a makeshift spa, offering pedicures, wool socks and a kind touch to those most in need. As neglected feet are cleaned, massaged and cared for, a greater connection is explored in this empathetic film celebrating the virtues of compassion.
I thought that this was great. Most of the shorts that I've seen are just artsy, kind of weird things that I don't really get - in fact, there was another one that I saw during the festival that I've completely forgotten about and didn't bother writing up. In general anything that somehow gets me emotionally, I tend to gravitate towards. Short film or not. Anything that involves compassion is a quick way to win my vote.
Although the synopsis of the film uses the term "spa", and describes features that could be seen as indulgent, I wonder if there's any parallel to foot washing traditions in religion contexts. As the Salvation Army is a Christian organization, it wouldn't be surprising.
Regardless, I really did just see it as a chance for those who use the facilities to have a moment of pampering. A moment that most of these people enjoy and deservedly so. A simple joy that doesn't take much time or effort but goes a long way.
I love the idea of it and I love the film itself. While you're able to eavesdrop of some conversations, the film is almost entirely comprised of feet. Worn-out and tired feet enjoying the moment. It's amazing because although they say the eyes are the windows to the soul, I felt like I could read a lot just from watching these feet. I got a sense of the history of these people. I got a sense of the weight that the feet have been carrying. I could see the feet exhaling.
I always have ideas for little things that I want to to make a difference. I do something different each year. I hope I don't forget about and have the courage to follow through with my most recent one.
- picture courtesy of www.hotdocs.ca
No comments:
Post a Comment