The Hollywood Complex (official website here) is a film about the yearly migration of children and their families to Hollywood for pilot season. I thought that it would be a film about over-crazed parents really pushing their children to succeed, but it was quite the opposite. Sure, it's a bizarre world, but the stories that were told showed that it is the children who are driven to land that big (or not so big) role. The families that surround the children are very supportive. Some are sweet, caring parents just trying to learn the ropes (and sometimes getting conned in the process), others are a little overzealous in their attempts to help their child reach their goal.
Directors Dan Sturman and Dylan Nelson were available for a Q&A and gave an update of one of the more memorable children from the film. Actually, the final credits does a great job of letting audience members know where the children are at now. The film had just been completed a couple days before the festival so the updates were pretty, well, up-to-date.
I thought the film was just okay. The families that were followed were interesting and gave the audience a good variety of experiences. The film also let us into the world of pilot season, the sometime sketchy world of showbiz and the famous Oakwood Apartments and the many services that they offer to their tenants. I did enjoy it but it wasn't anything more impressive than many other films that I've seen.
- picture courtesy of www.thehollywoodcomplex.com
No comments:
Post a Comment