Last night, I went to see Wallace & Gromit - The Curse of the Were-Rabbit...all by myself. It was the first time I went to see a movie in a theatre by myself and given the events of the rest of the day (I was in Basel - might write up about it) I was totally unfazed by this challenge. It was just one of those days that doing stuff on my own was liberating. I thought it might be weird to go watch a movie by myself (kind of like going to eat out by myself, but that turned out really well, so whatever) but wanted to see a relaxing and hopefully funny movie to end of a splendid day. The one annoying thing about experience (other than the fact that the ticket was 18CHF!) was that I had settled myself into a balcony seat (granted, the seats were HUGE and you could fit a whole row of seats in the space between each of the rows - although that meant that there was nothing to put your feet on) which I switched to after feeling like the ground floor seats would make me have to watch the whole movie practically lying on my back, there was a pretty rude sounding lady with her husband and two grandchildren/children (you never can know these days) telling me that I was in her seat. She was speaking to me in English with a British accent (a lot of the theatre goers had British accents (Basel is in the German speaking part of Switzerland, so were all these people ex-pats? Tourists?). Now, I have to say that in all of the movies that I have gone to see in Switzerland, on the ticket, yes there is an assigned seat, but you don't actually sit there. It's first come, first serve, like in Canada. Since I wasn't 100% sure this theatre was the same (even though no one else really looked at their tickets to see where they were sitting when they walked in the door), the balcony seating was still pretty empty and the fact that there were two young children with this rude lady, I just got up and changed to another equally good seat. Rude people are the pits.The lovable duo of Wallace (a machine-for-all-things inventing human) and Gromit (the one-who-runs-the-show dog) are preparing along with the rest of the community for a "largest vegetable" competition. The duo also form the company "anti-pesto" who rid the community of pesky little rabbit who terrorize the vegetable patches in the community. Through a love interest (Lady Tottington), a thwarted lover (Victor) and his trusty bulldog sidekick (forgot the name), a new invention, a ton of big vegetables and oh yeah, a "were-rabbit", Wallace and Gromit save the day.
The movie was pretty funny I guess. It was light like I imagined it would be. I remember the original movie (or was it a series?) and Chicken Run being a lot funnier though. I think I laughed out loud once or twice throughout the movie (that's pretty good), but I was hoping for more.
Like most "children's" movies of this day and age, there's a layer that the older folks in the theatre can appreciate. Things that the little ones won't pick up on. For example: Lady Tottington referring to her melons while standing behind them and a particular angle, or Wallace strategically wearing a cardboard box which reads "may contain nuts" to save himself any further embarrassment...you know what I mean.
You want a relaxing, funny, fabulous work of claymation? Watch this movie!
-picture courtesy of www.wallaceandgromit.com
No comments:
Post a Comment