Tuesday, November 08, 2005

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, by Mark Haddon

One of quickest reads that I can remember (sure, it’s a pretty small book, but I still went through it really really quickly), I HIGHLY RECOMMEND reading this book.
I read through it really really quickly. I guess it was a page turner. I wanted to keep reading to see where the story went, and therefore started to read faster, meaning that I started skimming, but that was bad becuase then I wasn't absorbing as much. So I had to force myself to read slower so that I could take in all the words on the each page.
I don’t want to go ever everything that happened in the book, because I think the less you know about the book before you read it, the better. It’s better to discover and uncover as you read.

I will include the paragraph written on the back cover of the book:
"Christopher John Francis Boone knows all the countries of the world and their capitals and every prime number up to 7,057. He relates well to animals but has no understanding of human emotions. He cannot stand to be touched. And he detests the color yellow. This improbable story of Christopher’s quest to investigate the suspicious death of a neighborhood dog makes for one of the most captivating, unusual, and widely heralded novels in recent years."

As an educator, I loved this book. As someone who enjoys math, I loved this book.
I still am not good at deciphering why I like certain books, or why I like certain movies. I know why I dislike them, but the same cannot be said for the opposite. Hmm, I wonder why this is.
One thing that I can say about the book it that I wish it was longer. I wanted the sotry to continue to see what would become of the character and how the relationships would evolve and/or change.
Anyway, back to the point of this post. Read this book.

-picture courtesy of www.chapters.indigo.ca

No comments: