Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Babel

Last Friday night, I went to see Babel. I remembered being tipped off about the movie a long time ago when my friends who seem to surf the internet way too much or something mentioned that the trailer for the film looked amazing. I agreed. Actually, I'm glad that they're all up to date (or better) on the times...being so far away from it all means that it's nice to be kept in the loop. So yeah, it came out in the original version here in Neuch and I decided to go see it.
Where there were supposed to be subtitles, they were in French and German, so although my French is good enough that I understood what was happening, there were a couple words here and there that I didn't quite understand which I think might have provided a little bit more insight to the movie.
After all this time, I still can't really pinpoint the type of movie I like, but I can say that usually I like movies that have different plotlines which end up being intertwined. This movie was one of those movies. The trailer gave just enough away that I got an idea of what would happen, but not enough that I knew about everything.
There were three main storylines in the movie - one in Morocco, one in Japan and the other around the US/Mexico border. I think the part in Japan was my favorite. I won't get into anymore details because it's something that you should see for yourself.
I found this movie to be a little long in parts...like it was getting to a point, but taking a long time to get there. At the end, I didn't really feel like it got to a "point", but that I got a certain emotion/feeling from the film. Perhaps it is also due the some of the situations that I have been placed in recently and will continue to be in until around the end of March (if I'm lucky) and perhaps even as an educator who is doing a lot of reflecting on education. As I was watching the movie, I resolved to be a more accepting person. To reach out to others who may feel alone or in an alien environment. To be compassionate. I was reminded that there are many different ways of communicating and that communication, whether verbal or non-verbal is the key to everything.
Perhaps the "point" of this movie is to get you to think. Even though I wouldn't necessarily watch the movie again, I would highly recommend everyone to see it.

- picture courtesy of www.paramountvantage.com/babel

No comments: