So, Switzerland is a small country with a fantastic railway system, so it shocked me to find out that it takes 4 hours to get from Neuch to Appenzell by the good 'ole SBB. I guess it's not really a direct way to get there, and also there's mountains and hills to go around and stuff.
Anyway, Appenzell really is a quaint Swiss town. Chalet-like houses dot the rolling green hillsides in the distance. Further on looms large, mostly, snow-peaked mountains. There is a pedestrian main street, a big church, town hall and open square. Exactly what you would imagine from a European town.
The events started by a parade with bands and important political types wearing capes and costumes all heading towards the Landsgemeinde square. Once there, the locals who hadn't been
Some of the people on stage are to count or estimate the numbers for each side. Most of the time, it was pretty obvious what the citizens wanted. A clear cut winner.
Okay, so am I supposed to believe that the people on stage could see the vote of the lady in the back row?
I guess she gave up. Figured no one cared about her opinion anyway. How sad. Just kidding. Maybe she actually wanted to vote against everyone else. I don't remember.
Anyone dare put their hand up on this issue? Guess not.
Word on the street was that if there's a tie vote, everyone had to leave the square area and then file in one at a time so that they would be individually counted. I could see that being really tedious and taking a long time, but I wanted to see it happen just once to, well, say that I'd seen it. One topic was voted on four times, because it was so close. In the end, they said that it wasn't close enough to need to count, but I have no idea which side won it. That kind of sucked.
Anyway, I have no idea what passed and what didn't, but it was an experience. Something that you wouldn't see anywhere else (that I know of). At one point the citizens were asked if they had any suggestions about the topics and a couple of people yelled out that they did, but I never saw anyone different take the microphone. Perhaps they were supposed to go to the City Hall on their own time to give their suggestions. Apparently, there was a time period before the Landsgemeinde (like a month or so) that citizens could go to the government to give suggestions/topics to be voted on.
I like this picture:
No comments:
Post a Comment