Thursday, December 18, 2008

Two acts

Act 1: I dropped off some items at Toy Mountain today. I wonder how often the bins are emptied. They were VERY empty when I went. I wonder who the recipients are. I wonder what they really want. I wonder how old they are. It was interesting shopping for the gifts - I tried to be practical and think of items that they might need, enjoy and last for more than just a couple moments. Am I being too logical? Should gifts be items that are just super fun and create a moment? I'm thinking of making a repeat performance.

Act 2: After looking into it further, I think this one's a bust. I left it too last minute anyway. But a quick google into what I wanted to do made it seem like it's not really possible to do what I want. Last year, I heard on the radio that Canada Post was sending items to the Canadian Forces stationed abroad for free and I wanted to act on it. I thought it would be nice to send a care package. I don't personally know anyone that's stationed anywhere (actually, I might, but I don't know if he's still there, nor do I think I know him enough to send something specifically to him or how it would be construed to the mutual person that we know), but for some reason I thought I would be able to just send a care package to a group of Canadians who were far from home. So, the website says that they aren't accepting such things. That is, unless I was a corporation wanting to make a donation or if I wanted to donate Tim Hortons gift certificates specifically. Interesting.

So yeah.

I wonder if I will volunteer somewhere in the future. Or will the rest of my life consume me and I never get around to it.

No comments: