Wednesday, September 09, 2009

OVO

Just got home from seeing Cirque du Soleil's most recent show, OVO.
Of course, it was a fantastic show.
We lucked out and got front row tickets. For some, this may not be the
best, as for the high flying acts, you would have to crane your necks back, but for me, I would rather be closer to the stage to be able to see the wonderful costuming and make-up that the company offers.
My favorite acts of the night were the foot juggling/Icarian games, slackwire, diabolos and the aerial trapeze. I was most looking forward to the wall, and although it was really athletic and different from any acts that I've seen before, it didn't quite impress me as much as I would have liked. That's not to say that it wasn't impressive or anything.
The characters were very cute. As I said before, having a front row seat really let us soak up the portrayal of the characters by the different artists. To see their faces and every single movement was unbelievable. I couldn't believe the detail on their costumes.
Cirque always puts on a great show. What I love is how seamlessly the show is run. There wasn't as much narrative tying together this show compared to the other shows that I've seen before, but I did feel like that took away from the production. The acts just seem to start out of thin air, and it's clear that the order of acts is carefully thought out so that it builds towards the intermission and finale of the show. The music is of course wonderful and the musicians are very much part of the show as well. OVO combines the traditional style of Cirque music with a Brazilian twist. One other part of the the production that always amazes me is the smooth changes between acts, especially the set changes, or should I say, apparatuses changes. It's all carefully choreographed and the artists are always in character. Ropes and pulleys are attached, and bars and wires appear out of nowhere. There are always checks for safety, you can see the stagehands efficiently working. It is a very well-oiled machine.
Oh yes, I must mention one other thing that comes with sitting in the front row. The possibility that you get picked out of the audience for something. Tonight, I had my own moment in the spotlight. I wasn't pulled onstage, but I had all eyes on me for a smidge of an act. A little growl, a hip swivel - that is the risk you run by attending a Cirque show.
It was a wonderful evening out - I think my mouth was open for the better part of the show. Cirque never ceases to impress me. Total awe.
Of course, I highly recommend the show. I would highly recommend any Cirque show.

No comments: