Sunday, May 16, 2010

Craving satisfied...for now

I've been craving moules frites for quite some time now. I've been visiting the seafood section of the St. Lawrence market on a regular basis, looked up a couple recipes and read up about prepping the bivalves.
Well, I think I'm good for a couple more weeks to come. I was at the beer bistro and the menu had a couple options for moules. The moules came with bread which proves to be effective for soaking up broth, but I'm kind of partial to frites as filler. I guess in Europe, they give you bread at the beginning of the meal, so you also have the option of either dunking material.
They were served in a Staub mouliere. I've never seen such a contraption and I loved it.
The moules weren't bad. Quite meaty. The broth was okay, but the moules tasted like moules and the broth tasted like broth. There was no overlap. It's strange, I usually don't like alcoholic tasting things, but I tend to overlook it for moules broth. The first taste is always a little bit shocking, but I suppose I love moules so much that I keep eating. If the flavour is really bold, I don't have much of the broth, but I think I'm a lot more lenient when it comes to moules broth.
Anyway. Moules are yummy.

No comments: