Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Take five...

And watch this.
Here's the same program just a couple months earlier if you need some English commentary.
I had the privilege of watching clips of the program as it was being created. We watched Patrick run through the SlSt (the last part of the program where he doesn't do any jumps and spins, and just does edges and turns) over and over again. He would wipe out and bail because the steps and changes of lean are so difficult. But he'd get right back up and do it again. And again. And again.
It's not just the 'big tricks' that are hard to do.
Lori Nichol is a genius.
And Patrick's amazing too. I still remember him as a wee-tyke being jokingly scolded by Kurt Browning at needing to always thank Mr. Colson for his wonderful coaching. And then judging him as a Pre-Novice skater at a Sectional event a couple years later. I was still a rookie judge and was nervous about being on the stand, but I did know his name. A wonderful judging colleague psyched me up for the event and told me I was in for a treat as without naming names (no pre-judging!) he said there would be a skater that would amaze me and just be a delight to judge.
Sometimes, being on that stand is painful, but when a skater has that magical skate (no matter the level), you feel so lucky to be a part of it.

No comments: