I had this movie on my list of films to see, but by the time I went online to make my package selections, the screening was sold out. It was actually the first time I wasn't able to get a film that I'd selected as part of my 10-pack. Anyway, I decided to take the risk and get a voucher, hoping that I would be able to rush the film. I hadn't been unsuccessful with TIFF rush lines, but I guess this movie broke the streak. I was just a couple people back from the front of the line when they cut off the rush line and was really bummed. I tend to get relatively sulky when things don't go my way. In the end, it was probably good that I had the evening off because I remember being so tired that day. I had a screening in the morning. And then I went home and took a power nap which lasted too long and then I was groggy. And then I had another commitment I had to attend to early in the evening which I ran late for, and then I had to leave earlier than I wanted to try to catch the film...and then I didn't even get in. And that was annoying, but then I went home and went to bed early. Definitely needed.
Anyway, luckily, that wasn't the last screening of the film, so I still had one more chance to watch the film. Clearly, I wouldn't be writing this post if I didn't get in, and I'm glad I did because it was a great film. Unfortunately, there wasn't anyone representing the film in attendance, so there wasn't a Q&A, but it was still a packed theatre. Obviously, the screening was rush and people were scrambling to find seats when they entered the theatre.
7 Boxes (trailer here) is a film from Paraguay about a teenage delivery boy getting caught in the middle of something. Suspense, mystery and a lot of chase scenes ensue. I think there was some funny moments too, but I'm sure they would have been even funnier if I understood Spanish and/or knew Paraguayan culture.
I think there were a lot of layers to this film. I wanted to see it because I think heist/suspense/thriller kinds of films, but this also had a little bit of a whimsical quality to it too.
Anyway, I'm also writing this post so far after the fact that I don't have it in me to write with any more detail. All I can say is that it's a great film and a classic TIFF movie in that it's a film that I probably would never get a chance to watch otherwise. If you manage to get an opportunity to see this film, I would highly recommend it.
- picture courtesy of www.tiff.net

No comments:
Post a Comment