This move has been three months in the works. More if you count the process of getting the job. But it's been three months of a learning experience and study of how one reacts to stress and change. I can't say that it's been the most positive experience, but it is what it is and I'm still happy to have gone through it because I'm stronger and more self-aware as a result.
Anyway, I'm sitting in the Porter lounge right now (flight got cancelled so I have an extra hour to snack on complimentary tea and cookies and to attempt to catch up on my e-mails - I'm SO behind) but this is only the 3rd time that I've been in an airport (a couple more times to go) this month. It's only the 7th of the month.
I genuinely thought that I'd have three months of leisure and relaxation due to a change of plans and finding myself with three months that I had originally allotted for other commitments, but that never came to fruition. Partly due to me filling the months with other things (that always happens) and needing to use the time to make plans for the future. I ended up traveling a lot, just not for leisure: three flights and two road trips (well, I guess one of those road trips was for leisure, but it was unfortunately cut short and admittedly we both ended up doing work on the trip anyhow). Lots of sorting, planning, packing...lots of meetings, rendezvous, heartfelt chats, teas, lunches, dinners and desserts. Lots of planning in three or four day increments...lots of living out of a suitcase or weekend bag.
But we're definitely moving forward. It's felt like it's been dragging on, but I do see the light at the end of the tunnel. I don't think I'll reach that light until the end of the month, but having my belongings packed up into a truck (again) yesterday has been a milestone that I was desperately waiting for. Of course, it didn't come without it's share of challenges. An 8.30am call time turned into a 6pm arrival (and resulted in an migraine - which I still have). I'm impressed at the efficiency of the movers once they arrived. They're getting paid for their job for a reason. It was very hard for me to let go and just have them go through my things and put them in boxes (I can imagined that I would be able to sit with them and make an itemized list of contents so that it would be easier to deal with at the other end), but they were way too fast for me to do that. I was expecting to be a little bit more in shock when the movers drove away, but my lack of sleep and level of stress prevented any emotion. I long for a good night's rest. I want to be at my best when September starts.
So I'm at the airport. But this isn't IT. I still have a couple more flights in the next little while before IT is real.
No comments:
Post a Comment