Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Balsamic BellaVitano

I had intended to only get one type of cheese (the Tete a Papineau), but then, I stated to chat with the salesperson and asked her to give me a rundown of how the cheese in the shop were organized. I asked some very naive questions about how I might think about the different cheeses and what I might consider for the next time and then she asked the deadly question: "Do you want to try something else?" How could I say no? I mean, there were so many different cheeses available, so I wasn't really sure where to begin, so I just asked her what her favourite cheese was, and she said the Balsamic BellaVitano...from Wisconsin. I laughed out loud that it was an American cheese and she chuckled as well. I think it's also part of my silly romanticism of Europe, but I was thinking that I would want to eat my way through European cheeses. But of course Wisconsin would have some good cheeses too!

Here's the description on the label (which, was of course written in French although it's an American cheese): "Fromage a pate ferme affine au vinaigre balsamique gagnant de la 1er place au American cheese Society 2010. Fin 2e. debut 3e service. Vin: Rose de Provence." (Translation, by google)

The cheese (from the Sartori Company) reminded me of a cheddar. Made from pasteurized cow's milk, it's a little harder, and has that kind of "cheddar" taste (I've got to develop a better flavour vocabulary)...I don't know how to describe it...salty? Thick? There is a hint of balsamic vinegar (obviously), but with my crappy palate, it's super subtle to me. The description of the website is helpful and I like the recommendations of what it pairs well with. I mean, that didn't really help me, because I was only looking at it after I'd finished eating, but knowing which foods it would go well with was interesting to think about.

Anyway, another cheese that I enjoyed. I mean, it's great that I'm finding all of these cheeses that I like, but I guess when you are able to taste the cheeses before buying them, that helps. I mean, I usually try one or two cheeses before deciding what to buy, and I don't really think I've actually tried something that I thought was vile. Mind you, I'm probably (based on the salesperson's knowledgeable recommendation) trying cheeses that probably wouldn't be too offensive (to my limited cheese palate). It's been fun going through these different cheeses. I'm really holding back from moving into goat cheese territory, but it seems like there are so many cow's milk cheeses that  don't have to worry too much about it quite yet.


No comments: