Monday, July 13, 2015

Montreal Jazz Festival (June 26-July 5, 2015)

It's festival after festival in Montreal during the summer. One of the big ones that recent finished up was the Festival International de Jazz.
I managed to head down to Place des Arts to take in a couple (free) concerts. That's the awesome thing, Place des Arts is a wonderful set up and they erect massive stages and sound systems and provide opportunities for the public to experience the festivals without having to pay for the festivities. Retailers and concession stands, I'm sure benefit from the traffic.

Three concerts that I attended stood out to me:

Michael Kaeshammer (British Columbia, Canada) -  I guess I would describe this music as big band jazz? Music that you can dance to, that's for sure. It's just such feel-good music.

Ginkgoa (France, pictured above) - I would describe this band as having an electro-swing flavour. As soon as they started playing, I immediate thought of this playlist on Songza. The band was awesome, playing music that you couldn't help but move to. And the lead singer couldn't help but move either. A fun touch was that she tap dancer through one of her songs.

Adam Cohen (pictured, left) - So this is Leonard Cohen's son. I imagine that's a tough gig and maybe I shouldn't have chosen that as the opening to introduce this musician, but to me, it's also a good descriptor of the sound of his voice and style of his music.

It was absolutely incredible how many people attended the festival. There were tons of concepts that you had to buy tickets for, and I'm sure those were well attended too. I just couldn't believe how many people were packed into Place des Arts. For Adam Cohen's concert it was a seriously big deal of a concert. A huge production. Lots of lights, lots of big screens so that people not in front of the stage could still see the performance and of course an awesome sound system so that you could hear the concert from all around. I was so impressed with the show and will the turnout.
There were concerts happening all the time, and of course staggered a bit so that performers weren't competing between the stages. The soundchecks might have overlapped a bit, but that's it. And in between the big(ger) shows were smaller concerts and street performers. In fact, you can the vaudeville street performers pictured here standing in the background (in suits) of Ginkgoa's performance. They were enjoying and respecting fellow artists' performances. And it was impressive how quickly the festival crew was able to clear an area to let the performers set up and to set up the sound system.

I can't wait to continue to explore and experience more festivals in the city.

No comments: